What is an Information Technology Project?
The definition of a project covered by this standard is a temporary information technology endeavor with an established beginning and end time that has a set of defined tasks and assigned resources, undertaken to develop a unique product, service or result.
An information technology project is a temporary effort undertaken by or on behalf of the university that:
- Establishes a new technology-based system or service
- Facilitates a significant business process transformation using technology; or
- Includes a major change in technology architecture or a system migration beyond that considered as general maintenance, enhancement, or refresh activity
In our organization a project typically performs one or more of these functions:
- Develop a new system or service
- Improvements to a system or service
- Improve business processes or introduce new ones
- Build or enhance infrastructure
- Apply new technology
- Upgrade enterprise applications
What are the Types of IT projects?
Part of having a well ran tech environment will require projects to upkeep and upgrade your environment.
Some projects may be small while others may be big.
The size and scale of a project depends on your current needs and growth plans.
The following are some of the types of projects that your business may need to do on occasion.
Cyber security is the most talked-about topics in any industry.
To address compliance initiatives you may need to have a company perform an annual security assessment.
This assessment can used to help renew cyber security insurance, record for a compliance initiative.
As computers and devices reach their life cycle end date it’s important to replace them.
A simple project that we do all the time is replacing computers.
It’s a low cost project that provides a lot a value.
Additionally, other devices in your environment will need upgrading or replacement as they complete their life cycle.
Each project is scoped in advance to provide you with a clear picture of what is needed and what it will cost.
Certain software upgrades may require a project.
Typically when new hardware or software is needed there will be a project associated with the upgrade.
For example, if you company is upgrading all your computers to the latest version of Microsoft Office.
That’s a project.
Office relocation’s can be a significant undertaking.
Successfully transitioning your business equipment between locations typically takes a fair bit of planning.
When a client moves we do our best to plan and prepare your business.
We’ll disconnect, move, reconnect, and test all of your equipment to get your team back up and running at your new location quickly and efficiently.
As companies change and grow so do their network needs.
We design and plan network upgrades and installations.
This includes WiFi, traditional network switching, routing and security.
You’re only as good as your connection.
We make sure you’re connected well.
Vendor Selection and Management
Can you stay objective when you’re picking out the right tech products from the right vendors?
A neutral third party that specializes in tech can provide objective advice about specific products and vendors.
And once your vendors are chosen, why not employ someone to help you manage the minutia of all your contracts, including software updates, warranties, and other contractual requirements?
We The IT Team – IT Project Services
We The IT Team’s Project Services team deliver the following benefits:
- Large number of qualified personnel with certifications in the key technologies
- Experienced in a range of complex projects
- Well-established relationships with the main technology vendors
- Delivering outcomes and business benefits to our customers, on time and to budget
- Enterprise infrastructure consulting and deployment
If you need some assistance with your environment, please contact us here.